Where do I begin

Wuss912 Wuss912
Tue Feb 11 12:26:13 PST 2003

Thanks for the great answer...
The wmp11 I have I think is a prism bard (it's hard to tell) but I saw
somewhere the pre 2.7 cards didn't have the serial number on the outside
of the box and this was the last one without a serial number at fry's so
I it should be a prism card the card is also recognized by the Linux
kernel drivers as a prism card
What is the latest / Best firmware to upgrade to? Is it 1.4.9? Or is
there another one I should look at ?
I also found this link http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~yash/IEEE802.11/ is
this what I should use to update my wmp11? Or is there something better?
Is their a way to update my firmware in Linux (without using a win
emulator)?
Thanks again for all of your help

-----Original Message-----
From: Ariel Molina Rueda [mailto:ariel at fismat.umich.mx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 12:43 PM
To: Wuss912 at cox.net
Cc: HostAP at shmoo.com
Subject: Re: Where do I begin

Be careful, if your WMP11 is quite new (ver 2.7) it is _not_ a Prism
card, i had the same problem, i bought a WMP11, but now Linksys is using
Broadcom chipsets, which are NOT supported right now. I also have a
PCMCIA WPC11 card it is a prism card, think Linksys is only using
Broadcom for WMP11's

Look at Netgate www.netgate.com, they use Prism and they sell complete
Kits for setting up an AP.

If your card is a prism card, you should check if you have 1.4.2
firmware, becase it is broken and does not work in AP mode.

If you require a firmware update use the links to the dlink/intersil
flasher (WinUpdate-0-5-1-0.exe), and the netgate firmware; Dave Wang
point me to this link:
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2002-October/000024.html

you can use that tool for checking the firmware your card actually has.
if it doesnt work, your card is not a prism card.

You can go ahead and hack your card to verify the Broadcom chip. Check
the
pics:
http://intimate.handhelds.org/jacques/wmp11v2.7/

I think WMP11 is in fact this card o a variant of this:
http://www.broadcom.com/products/4301.html