Hostap driver in Managed mode fails to identify access points (i.e. hostap in Master mode) in range!

Jason Straight jason
Tue Nov 12 09:46:53 PST 2002

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 11:06, Manjunathan PY wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am using hostap driver dated 2002-09-12 i.e. hostap-2002-09-12.tar.gz
>
> I have installed this driver on two laptops with Dlink DWL 650 wlan cards.
>
> One laptop was running hostap in Master mode while the other was running in
> Managed mode.
>
> The laptop running hostap in Managed mode failed to associate with the
> access point( i.e. with the laptop where hostap was in Master mode.)
>
> I observed that the access point's mac address displayed by the station
> (i.e. hostap in Managed mode)
> was always 44:44:44:44:44:44, although the actual mac address of the hostap
> access point was different.

This (44:44:44:44:44:44) means it's looking for an AP with a matching essid to
join with.

> why does this happen whenever one changes the mode of operation to Managed
> mode ?

Works fine here, I use hostap to connect to orinoco and lynksys AP's with wep
and without every day.