standard wds with STA1.5.0+?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Nov 11 08:34:18 PST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 04:42:45PM +0100, Martin Whitlock wrote:

> It seems like Intersil has fixed a few bugs regarding WDS frames in HostAP
> mode after f/w STA 1.5.0. Does this mean that standard WDS frames could be
> supported now?

Yes, it indeed does. Receiving WDS frames was already working, but new
station firmware image fixes transmission of WDS frames in Host AP mode.
I changed the driver to make WDS frame type configurable for Host AP
mode (prism2_param wds_type bit2). If station firmware is 1.5.0 or
newer, the driver uses standard compliant WDS frames. This can be
overriden by clearing bit2 from wds_type if bogus frame format is needed
(e.g., for compatibility with another Host AP -based AP).

I tested the latest CVS version of the driver with station firmware
version 1.5.4. Sniffed frames looked OK and I was able to setup WDS link
between two APs using Host AP driver. I did not test this with other AP
devices, but I would assume that WDS links can now be setup with other
standard compliant devices.