hostap bridging wired and wireless network query

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Dec 15 09:09:46 PST 2002

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 12:42:57AM -0500, Salil Gokhale wrote:

> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 wlan0
>
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0

This command will probably remove some of your previous routing setup.

> ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0
>
> ifconfig br0 130.245.126.245 up

After this one, there will be a short delay (depends on your bridge
configuration, but about 30 sec with defaults) when the bridge code
(STP) tries to figure out network configuration. During this period data
frames are not sent or received. If you look at kernel log ('dmesg'),
you should see the interface state changing from learning to forwarding
and after this the interfaces should be working again.

> After these steps I cannot access network even from the access point
> machine. Also I cannot access network from any machine on wlan.

> Do I need to setup gateway or routes on access point or other machines?

Yes, you will need to restore your correct routing setup after this. At
least setup default gateway again.