m001vkll puzzle

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 06:19:16 PST 2024

On 21/01/2024 11:51, Jim web wrote:

> Question: Should simply giving the pid as m001vxvk rather than m001vkll
> cause gip to get the full-length version? Or is that not sufficient? As yet
> I've always used the pid of the webpage address for an item.

Not sure where you got the pid m001vxvk from, but anyway ...

     https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vxvk

... redirects automatically [probably a 301 or 302] to ...

     https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vkll

... so no difference should be expected, but I thought I'd try it anyway:

perl <path>\get_iplayer.pl --profile-dir=<path>  --pid m001vxvk -g

... results in ...

     get_iplayer v3.30, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
       This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
--warranty.
under certain
       conditions; use --conditions for details.

     WARNING: Could not determine PID type (m001vxvk). Trying to record
PID directly.
     Episodes:
     get_iplayer - m001vxvk, BBC iPlayer, m001vxvk
     INFO: 1 total programmes

     WARNING: PID m001vxvk does not refer to an iPlayer programme
episode or clip. Download may fail and metadata may be inac
     curate.
     WARNING: No programmes are available for this PID with version(s):
default

However, I can confirm that, as suggested by 'iz', adding ...

     --versions=editorial

... to the command line does download the full programme.  I now have:

Select Committees Horizon IT Scandal Inquiry.mp4, 6.55GB, 3:9:23 long,
1280x720x50

> I also now wonder: Are BBC Parliament (and News) Channel items available a
> 'genuine' HD? Or is that simply causing a transcode upwards with no
> improvement, just more data to shovel?

It says fhd under --info, so yes to fhd, but I've no idea whether it's
upscaled or not, you'd have to ask your pals at the Beeb.  Anyway, why
waste disk space for a news item where quality doesn't really matter?
It's not as though it's a wildlife documentary.

> I've assumed that BBC Parliament/News was simple 'SD' formats, because I
> only use DVB-T2 for broadcast. But is this wrong? If so, knowing HD is
> available is useful should it be preferred for some specific content
> reason.

I didn't specify the quality on my test download, if I had it would have
been just SD because that's all the content merits, but again you'd need
to use the --info switch on the particular programme of interest to see
what it is available as.