m001vkll puzzle

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 06:36:55 PST 2024

In article <abba0747-ad84-98f1-70c4-804214ae6e9f at macfh.co.uk>, MacFH - C
Macfarlane - News <news at macfh.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/01/2024 11:51, Jim web wrote:
> >
> > Question: Should simply giving the pid as m001vxvk rather than
> > m001vkll cause gip to get the full-length version? Or is that not
> > sufficient? As yet I've always used the pid of the webpage address for
> > an item.

> Not sure where you got the pid m001vxvk from

Used gip to give me the info on the pid. That showed that the 'editorial'
version had a different pid as per above.

> , but anyway ...

>      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vxvk

> ... redirects automatically [probably a 301 or 302] to ...

>      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vkll

> ... so no difference should be expected, but I thought I'd try it anyway:

> perl <path>\get_iplayer.pl --profile-dir=<path>  --pid m001vxvk -g

> ... results in ...

Yes, it redirected here.

> However, I can confirm that, as suggested by 'iz', adding ...

>      --versions=editorial

> ... to the command line does download the full programme.  I now have:

> Select Committees Horizon IT Scandal Inquiry.mp4, 6.55GB, 3:9:23 long,
> 1280x720x50

I just added a "--versions=editorial" to the set of statements for one of
my choices and it also started downloading that - i.e. the full fat
version. :-) However I then interrupted. Prefer to download big items
before 9am.

> > I also now wonder: Are BBC Parliament (and News) Channel items
> > available a 'genuine' HD? Or is that simply causing a transcode
> > upwards with no improvement, just more data to shovel?

> It says fhd under --info, so yes to fhd, but I've no idea whether it's
> upscaled or not, you'd have to ask your pals at the Beeb.  Anyway, why
> waste disk space for a news item where quality doesn't really matter?
> It's not as though it's a wildlife documentary.

Agreed. In this case I'll use it because the problem is an odd one. Not
something I'v encountered before. It also will give me a chance to see if
the editorial 'hd' version actually *is* hd in image content! I suspect it
is upscaled when you fetch HD as the size of the file seems more like 3
hours of SD than HD. (1)

I guess that the BBC may well just use HD kit as standard, even when a
channel is SD only. (Is Parilament on satellite also SD only?)

Sadly, the only people I knew at the BBC were on the radio side, and most
seem to have left now. Sign of how old *I* am, I guess. 8-}

(1) BTW I checked and I already have a number of AV files from iPlayer that
are around 7GB or more. So EXT4 still seems fine to me. 8-> No need for
'Nice Try FS' or Fat.

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm