m001vkll puzzle

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 03:51:43 PST 2024

In article <2e076214-aa04-da58-d253-26b497e64f08 at macfh.co.uk>, MacFH - C
Macfarlane - News <news at macfh.co.uk> wrote:
> > Playing either file is fine ... for what it contains. Just that the
> > following section of the sitting seems not to be present.

> Sorry, there was such a break between setting the test download going
> and my noticing that it had finished that I must have forgotten the
> times involved.  I should have checked against your OP before posting,
> but didn't, for which, apologies.

> It does seem to be a problem at the source, doesn't it?  ISTR that there
> used to be some webpage where you can report specific iPlayer problems
> like this,

I only fetch videos before 9am so I can dodge their sizes adding up to the
'cap' on my net account's monthly use. FWIW That's one reason I wrote a
simple ROX-Filer app that lets me DND a texfile list of pids/modes and
leave it chugging though them as I make breakfast! :-) However I didn't
have time this morning to try again to fetch the full-fat version of the
item.

What I did do is fetch the iPlayer info on it. This seems to confirm that a
'full length' version *is* available, but for some odd reason not the norm.
And that the "editorial" version may the one to fetch.

Question: Should simply giving the pid as m001vxvk rather than m001vkll
cause gip to get the full-length version? Or is that not sufficient? As yet
I've always used the pid of the webpage address for an item.

I also now wonder: Are BBC Parliament (and News) Channel items available a
'genuine' HD? Or is that simply causing a transcode upwards with no
improvement, just more data to shovel?

I've assumed that BBC Parliament/News was simple 'SD' formats, because I
only use DVB-T2 for broadcast. But is this wrong? If so, knowing HD is
available is useful should it be preferred for some specific content
reason.

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm