no more hslv format ?

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Tue May 1 07:53:08 PDT 2018

On 1 May 2018 at 14:05, Jim web <web at audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> I'll look at what the --verbose gives me as per your other email. Someone
> elsewhere has said they can get handbrake to do 50 -> 25 fps fairly well.
> But that means running that as well unless I can work out what it is doing
> on a command level. And IIUC handrake is using ffmpeg anyway under the
> hood...

I've just done something similar.

I get get_iplayer to download the files (tvbest with 50fps) and then
dump them into a folder, I then have another script that's going
through those files in that folder and converting them to x265 and
reducing the fps to 25. No issues so far, and results in a filesize of
around 350MB/per hour of TV.

It's using HandbrakeCLI (and fwiw Handbrake doesn't always use ffmpeg,
it also has other encoders built in), I'm encoding to x265 for the
smaller filesize but you can tell it to use x264 instead.

Only downside is the x265 encoding takes a while, pretty much double
the length of the video time on my system, about 1hr45 encoding for a
50-60 minute video, but hey ho, it works, and it's running in the
background via cron so it will spit out the videos when done - it's
not like I was in a hurry to watch them anyway...

For anyone interested the script is here...
https://pastebin.com/cGSxbSPK