no more hslv format ?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed May 2 08:20:15 PDT 2018

Hi Jim,

> > You could use get_iplayer's --command option to run a command to
> > move each final file off tmpfs as the download is finished.  Its
> > --output affects all the intermediate files too, AIUI.
>
> The challenge for me is to work out how to get the fetched file to go
> onto the tmpfs

Well, `df -t tmpfs' will probably show /tmp is a tmpfs so you could
`--output /tmp' and you should see its intermediate files, and the final
file, only appear there.  `--command' could then move that final file to
the SSD, or run a conversion command that writes to the SSD and then
removes the tmpfs input.

As for altering the ffmpeg command that get_iplayer is using, I'm not
sure that's worthwhile?  It isn't doing any transcoding, just changing
the container format, or splicing in better audio, that kind of thing.
So your `lossy' slow-down ffmpeg from 50 fps to 25 fps won't be a second
lossy one that you'd prefer to combine with the first.  I could be
wrong, not knowing how to have ffmpeg do this conversion.  When you find
out, let the list know.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy