no more hslv format ?

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Tue May 1 05:05:08 PDT 2018

In article <20180501113138.870F721091 at orac.inputplus.co.uk>, Ralph
Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Jim,

> > I've been discussing the 'loss' of the 1280x720 25fps version with
> > someone at the BBC.

> I miss those 1 GiB ~= 1 hour ones too.  They were `just right'.

Yes. It seems bonkers to me for the BBC to end them. But I've not had any
reaction to pointing out that they are useful, etc. So I assume they won't
be re-instated. :-/

> > It has also set me wondering about arranging for gip to fetch to ram
> > storage and then convert that into a file on my main disc.

> Is this Linux?  get_iplayer here uses the current working directory for
> all its large intermediate files.  If that was a `tmpfs' filesystem then
> they would all sit in RAM, unless you've swap space and pressure caused
> pages from the filesystem to be swapped out.

> You could use get_iplayer's --command option to run a command to move
> each final file off tmpfs as the download is finished.  Its --output
> affects all the intermediate files too, AIUI.

Yes, Linux. The challenge for me is to work out how to get the fetched file
to go onto the tmpfs, then have that processed - ideally having gip give
ffmpeg relevant details - into a 25fps file on my main disc. i.e. I don't
know enough to specify the commands and either get gip to do this, or add
in the relevant ffmpeg call.

Am I right that by using the --command and also --raw I can then run ffmpeg
to do the conversion and put the result where I want? That sounds about
right for what I have in mind.

I'll look at what the --verbose gives me as per your other email. Someone
elsewhere has said they can get handbrake to do 50 -> 25 fps fairly well.
But that means running that as well unless I can work out what it is doing
on a command level. And IIUC handrake is using ffmpeg anyway under the
hood...

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm