Problem with 3.06 PVR

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu Nov 9 06:19:24 PST 2017

From: Jon Crookston
Sent: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:46 PM

>Frustratingly, while John and I shared similar symptoms, I don't think we
>had the same problem.  I've just installed IO::Socket::SSL but to no avail,
>and tried --no-index-concurrent.

>I'm struggling to know where to look next - there isn't any real clue in
>the program output - is there a way to find out *why* it fails "to download
>programme schedule
> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/programmes/schedules/last_week" etc.?  I'm not
>really very familiar with the use of 'proper' software tools for debugging
>etc., but if I had anything to go >on I might try to do a bit more digging.

I have not yet used Linux to run get_iplayer so I cannot help with Linux
dependencies.

Debugging is not a matter of 'proper' software tools; it is a matter of
approach.  You should aim to keep everything as simple as possible and test
one thing at a time.

What happens when you click the link in your paragraph above?  Does your
browser display a page with a blue-green background with a heading
"Schedule
30 October - 5 November 2017"?
If it doesn't, you need to find out why.  There is no point in considering
why get_iplayer cannot analyse the page if your browser cannot see it.  If
the browser can display the page, you can then go on to study what
get_iplayer is doing with it.  Identify where in the code it is being
processed and the names of relevant variables.  Add print statements to
print the values of the variables before and after an operation.

>The output with --debug (below) doesn't seem to tell me much more, does
>anyone have any other suggestions?

The debug output is mainly concerned with processing options.  You have
used --nocopyright so it is not even possible to confirm the version you are
running.  Remove all the options, including your preferences, and run it
with the defaults.  If it works with the defaults, add the options back one
by one.

Best wishes
Richard