Re "Issues with Large Files" and "Recent Radio Downloads Not Playing".

iz ilainftw at gmx.com
Wed Jan 25 06:30:09 PST 2017

> Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM
> From: RS
>
> It seems that DASH is not simply AAC.  The adaptive bit rate may be what is
> causing Linn to complain about the size of the stsz table.

"Adaptive bit rate" isn't an inherent property of a stream or the resulting file. That phrase just means that a player can choose among different bit rate streams in a single playlist based on characteristics of the playback environment. get_iplayer isn't an adaptive "player", so it's a moot issue in this case. Also, the raw DASH files for radio programmes don't use stsz and related tables. The files are fragmented MP4, so the sample information is spread over multiple track fragments. The st* tables are created during re-muxing, and only describe the audio content of the final file.

> The next question is how to convert AVC3  to AVC1  or AAC.  I have already

AVC3 is only related to video, so has no bearing here. ffmpeg version 3 and above will do AVC3->AV1 during re-muxing, though.

> tried using ffmpeg and its aac codec.  It was very slow and I still couldn't
> play the file.  I have also tried the Nero encoder, but my player did not
> like the MP42 Major Brand or the .mp4 extension.

One other long shot to try is to remove the MP4 container by remuxing to plain old ADTS AAC. However, I'm guessing that even if that file played you may not be able to seek/ff/rw, so of limited use. You could also feed the raw fragmented MP4 DASH file to your player, but I suspect that is even less likely to be supported.