get_iplayer creating incomplete mp4 files

Dave Widgery dave.widgery at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 01:09:27 PST 2017

Hi

Is there anyway of stopping get_iplayer completing the process of
creating an mp4 file even though there have been errors in the
recording process.

I have a slow internet connection hence the reason I use get_iplayer
rather than streaming the programs directly. but at busy times I can
get a lot of timeouts during the recording process sometimes the
recording process terminating before the end.

This is annoying in its self but that is my internet connection, but
when the process continues and creates an mp4 file missing the last 5
minutes of a program or film it can be very annoying especially if it
is at a crucial point as happened to me recently with Jonathan Creek.

I usually visualy scan the file size to see if it makes sense,
unfortunately in the last example the file size was about right for an
hour (I hadn't realised it should have been 1 1/2 hours).

there must be a  simple way of comparing the expected recording size
with the actual size and flagging an error. (I am using the windows
version of get_iplayer)

Regards
Dave Widgery