New radio PIDs

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Aug 13 19:02:28 PDT 2017

 On Sun Aug 13 10:05:39 BST 2017, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

>  ^(?:[bp]0|w3)[a-z0-9]{6}$

 Cheers Ralph, your coding skills are always welcome in this list! :-)
I was about to say that the above assumes that ordinary PIDs
will continue to begin with "(b|p)0" and that "new" WSR ones
will always begin with "w3", when M Clark posted:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2017-August/010994.html

which, of course, brought new data to light...

 FWIW, I revisited the definitive article on PIDs (WARNING: Long read!):

http://smethur.st/posts/176135860

> The only character in a PID that is "meaningful"
> is the first one which denotes the authority of the PID
> (the people responsible for creating it).
> For PIDs starting b the generating authority is Red Bee,
> for PIDs starting p it's PIPs,
> for w it's the old World Service scheduling system.
> (snip)
> Because World Service programme information doesn't travel
> through Red Bee they self-provision programme data into PIPS
> which lead to their early PIDs looking slightly different
> to most, being 11 characters, not 8:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/wcr5dr3dnl3
> I'm not sure when the changeover happened
> but these days World Service PIDs are generated as p PIDs
> with a PIPs authority and are 8 characters long.

 So in the distant past (June 2008) there used to be 11-digit
PIDs beginning with "w" for WSR programmes;
what brought about the new PIDs system with either 8
or 15-digit "w" PIDs remains unclear (?) ...
Maybe "Jim web" could, once more, poke his BBC Radio contacts?

 On Sun Aug 13 19:51:22 BST 2017, James Scholes wrote:

> ^[0-9b-df-hj-np-tv-z]{8,}$

 Hi James, so nice you dropped by with such
an interesting find!
 Did a bit of googling myself, "[0-9b-df-hj-np-tv-z]{8,15}"
comes up inside deprecated projects:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/micro/guides/projectjson
http://www.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/micro/guides/projectjsonv2
both part of MICRO...
Also,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/route/reference
has it in this line:
> programme.reqs.pid = "[0-9b-df-hj-np-tv-z]{8,15}"

 Of relevance:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/bbc-pid

> BBC Programmes Identifiers 0.4 spec
> defines a PID as following:
> Characters: digits 0-9 and lower case letters, less vowels.
> Length: Minimum 8 digits. No defined maximum
> - they will grow as necessary.
> For historical reasons there are some 15 character pids
> existing for World Service content.

... Historical reasons?

Cheers,
Vangelis.