HLS modes being missed by GiP

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Apr 21 10:19:03 PDT 2017

On Fri Apr 21 15:07:37 BST 2017, RS wrote:

> I thought the suffixes 1, 2, 3, 4 on mode
> names indicated different CDNs.

... It used to be that way in the past, but not since the beeb
started using HTTPS for their streams.
E.g. if you --info (-i) a pid you'll often see 4 dvf* tvmodes;
these are spread over just two CDNs (Akamai, Limelight)
but with each of them having both HTTP/HTTPS stream URIs.

 I think BBC will eventually swift only to HTTPS URLs,
thus the modes will again go down to two...
FWIW, GiP 2.99 gives priority to HTTPS over HTTP, so
1 & 2 suffixes are propably HTTPS and 3 & 4
their plain HTTP counterparts...

> it is only hlshd that now has hlshd1 and hlshd2
> (it used to be only hlshd1) and they are both Akamai.

See explanation above.

hlshd1 = Ak over HTTPS
hlshd2 = Ak over HTTP

 Include "-i --streaminfo" in your command
to see full stream URIs...

Best regards,
Vangelis.