HLS modes being missed by GiP

tellyaddict tellyaddict21 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 11:35:59 PDT 2017

> ... It used to be that way in the past, but not since the beeb
> started using HTTPS for their streams.
> E.g. if you --info (-i) a pid you'll often see 4 dvf* tvmodes;
> these are spread over just two CDNs (Akamai, Limelight)
> but with each of them having both HTTP/HTTPS stream URIs.
>
>  I think BBC will eventually swift only to HTTPS URLs,
> thus the modes will again go down to two...
> FWIW, GiP 2.99 gives priority to HTTPS over HTTP, so
> 1 & 2 suffixes are propably HTTPS and 3 & 4
> their plain HTTP counterparts...
>
> > it is only hlshd that now has hlshd1 and hlshd2
> > (it used to be only hlshd1) and they are both Akamai.
>
> See explanation above.
>
> hlshd1 = Ak over HTTPS
> hlshd2 = Ak over HTTP
>
>  Include "-i --streaminfo" in your command
> to see full stream URIs...

Thanks Vangelis. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the introduction of HTTPS.

Currently running info on programmes using 2.99, I only ever seem to get 1 hlshd option and 1 hlsvhigh option.

Here's that part of the output from last friday's The One Show for example (b08lm6g7):

longname:       The One Show
modes:          original: dvfhd1,dvfhd2,dvfsd1,dvfsd2,dvfxsd1,dvfxsd2,dvfhigh1,d
vfhigh2,dvfxhigh1,dvfxhigh2,dvflow1,dvflow2,flashhd1,flashvhigh1,flashvhigh2,fla
shstd1,flashstd2,flashxstd1,flashxstd2,hlshd1,hlsvhigh1,hlsstd1,hlsxstd1,hvfhd1,
hvfhd2,hvfsd1,hvfsd2,hvfxsd1,hvfxsd2,hvfhigh1,hvfhigh2,hvfxhigh1,hvfxhigh2,hvflo
w1,hvflow2,subtitles1
modesizes:      original: dvfhd1=1043MiB,dvfhd2=1043MiB,dvfsd1=578MiB,dvfsd2=578
MiB,dvfxsd1=330MiB,dvfxsd2=330MiB,dvfhigh1=323MiB,dvfhigh2=323MiB,dvfxhigh1=170M
iB,dvfxhigh2=170MiB,dvflow1=90MiB,dvflow2=90MiB,flashhd1=493MiB,flashvhigh1=309M
iB,flashvhigh2=309MiB,flashstd1=165MiB,flashstd2=165MiB,flashxstd1=106MiB,flashx
std2=106MiB,hlshd1=496MiB,hlsvhigh1=310MiB,hlsstd1=165MiB,hlsxstd1=106MiB,hvfhd1
=1143MiB,hvfhd2=1143MiB,hvfsd1=647MiB,hvfsd2=647MiB,hvfxsd1=374MiB,hvfxsd2=374Mi
B,hvfhigh1=373MiB,hvfhigh2=373MiB,hvfxhigh1=203MiB,hvfxhigh2=203MiB,hvflow1=117M
iB,hvflow2=117MiB,subtitles1=30KiB

Also programmes which aren't available in HD such as local news and programmes on BBC Parliament for example seem to be missing the HLS modes completely in get_iplayer --info but visiting the vpid's mediaselector page shows that the HLS streams are there in both HTTP and HTTPS. Dinky said that these are now missing because of BBC changes and will be restored later but I can;t really work out what those changes are. I can still manually access them using the same URLs that --verbose --info shows but GiP can't seem to see them.

Do you know which BBC changes Dinky is referring to Vangelis?