TV Cache missing some days

Derek Kaye dezza at dezzanet.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 13:23:12 PST 2016

Good evening Vangelis

On 15/11/16 19:47, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> On Tue Nov 15 13:12:06 GMT 2016, Derek Kaye wrote:
>> I am using get iplayer 2.97, and for some reason I am missing the
>> 12th and 13th November in my tv.cache file.
>> $ grep '2016-11-13' ~/.get_iplayer/tv.cache
>> returns nothing.
>
> Hi - not familiar with Linux (Windows here), but I gather your command
> parses your local tv.cache file (actually the "available" column) for
> string "2016-11-13".
It's not even that sophisticated, it simply searches for that string
anywhere in the file, but yes, that is the field I was intending to search.

> My recently updated tv.cache file does, indeed, contain entries for
> both "2016-11-13" (137) & "2016-11-14" (128), so at least we know it's
> not an upstream issue with the schedule feeds...
That's good to know. I had suspected as much given the list has been
quiet over the last few days.
> I don't have any ideas TBH, make sure your local tv.cache file is not
> corrupt and writeable and perhaps try a forced tv cache refresh:
> get_iplayer --type=tv -f --force
That command seems to have to poked it sufficiently. I'm not sure why I
didn't think of that myself. Thanks for the suggestion!
> Given that your missing dates are only 3 and 2 days ago, the above
> command, as you say, should fix the missing entries.
> Hopefully some Linux user may shed some more light...
I have backed up the tv.cache file that was causing trouble in case it
comes in useful, but given the force refresh seems to have cleared the
issue I suspect it's not worth looking in to further.

Vangelis, many thanks for your help on this, and on other issues where
you have provided valuable insight and explanations.

Best regards

Derek