Audio/Video Out of Sync

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Aug 16 06:42:58 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:46:51PM +0100, RS wrote:
> >From: David Cantrell Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 23:37
> >I'd like to rate-limit get_iplayer so that other things on the same
> >machine that are also talking to the internet don't run like stunned slugs
> >in treacle.
> >Second, I'm not using Linux.
> You don't say which non-Linux operating system you are using.  Your
> description doesn't correspond with any version of Windows, 32 bit or 64
> bit

Yes, it does. This would affect Windows just as much as any other OS.

>     I have used except maybe Windows 3.1.  Here downloading HLSHD with
> get_iplayer at speeds up to 80Mbit/s on an elderly 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo with
> 4GByte of RAM in 64 bit Windows 10 Home and a 10/100 LAN card gave a CPU
> usage of between 20% and 52% and memory usage barely above background.  How
> much RAM have you got?

CPU and RAM are not the limiting factors. Network bandwidth is. Other
stuff is slowing down because it's waiting to send or receive packets.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

    fdisk format reinstall, doo-dah, doo-dah;
    fdisk format reinstall, it's the Windows way