Request for BBC Contact - OT

George Eycott george at eycott.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 00:53:38 PDT 2016

<lots of good stuff snipped>

I think it is not purely lack of vision by the BBC, whenever this has come
up with them before they claim that there are a lack of rights for them to
show/play many of their programmes overseas, paid or otherwise. I seem to
recall Radio 7 having similar issues when they started up in getting rights
for some programmes to be re-broadcast in the UK let alone overseas. I
suspect that as it is not part of their core activities and would be a legal
nightmare to sort out, it goes in the "too hard" pile and they unofficially
turn a blind eye to what is going on until someone prods them (recent
blocking of mainstream VPN's) or they break GIP and others when they upgrade
their systems (at which point if anyone complains they are politely told
they shouldn't be doing it!).

Just my 2p worth.