Total failure for tv this morning - 9.30am BST

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Apr 5 08:36:40 PDT 2016

On Tue Apr 5 14:05:30 BST 2016, Geoff Smith wrote:

> It seems that you, and others, missed Vangelis's helpful post
> - for which many thanks - earlier today.

Hi Geoff - you are welcome!
That post (sent in the wee morning hours) was:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2016-April/008834.html

Also, I was e-mailed in private by member "d4x"
(who has trouble sending e-mails directly to the list)
and forwarded to him additional instructions:

> and use the most recent snapshot of the develop branch:
>
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commits/develop/get_iplayer
>
> i.e. commit git-53e9c7f
>
> Direct link to latest develop snapshot (main script only):
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/develop/get_iplayer
>
> If on Windows, save as get_iplayer-295dev.pl
> (taking extra care not to append .txt extension).
>
> If put inside GiP's installation directory,
> it can be invoked in the CLI simply as
>
> perl get_iplayer-295dev.pl <download command>
>
> You can ignore the warnings at the start...

Extract from the forum announcement,
written by dinkypumpkin:

>  The development version of get_iplayer should support
> downloading via --pid (or Quick URL in web pvr
> manager) for many programmes, but it will not be able to
> refresh the programme cache.
>  You also will see warnings that programme metadata
> cannot be downloaded, and metadata tagging will be patchy.
>
>  Be aware that there are many changes in the development version,
> all undocumented at this point (except for the repo commit
> history). The development version is completely
> unsupported, so if you run into problems, any support
> requests will be ignored (by me, at least).

As Majid Hussain has already posted (thanks!),
the failing .XML/.RDF URLs have been restored,
so it is business as usual with GiP 2.94; aforementioned
forum announcement again removed:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-693-post-3797.html#pid3797

 Info posted in this mail (and previous by my humble self)
should be "bookmarked" regardless, for future reference,
because it is not a case of "if" but "when" the feeds
break again - remember, they are scheduled for
complete removal!

Kind regards to all,
Vangelis.