Outlook Express 6 on WinXP and this list

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Apr 5 17:31:11 PDT 2016

On Tue Apr 5 16:36:40 BST 2016, I wrote:

> Also, I was e-mailed in private by member "d4x"
> (who has trouble sending e-mails directly to the list)

Hi - it has since emerged that GiP user "d4x"
employs Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
as his e-mail client, which is the built-in e-mail
client of Windows XP.

"d4x" had recently another Windows XP related
issue that was posted on the support forum:
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-686-post-3740.html
and was quickly acted upon by dinkypumpkin,
but it appears his EOL'd OS is causing him
extra grief when trying to subscribe/post to this
very list.

Registration/Subscription appears successful,
but no confirmation e-mail is received, nor any
other list traffic.

Trying to post directly to the list (in plain-text
format) results in an immediate bounce by the list.

I was intrigued by his issue so today I brought
my WinXP (SP2) desktop out of retirement (been there
since November 2015) and did some tests:

When I myself tried to post to the list using MSOE 6.00,
the test mail instantly bounced back:

> Your mail to 'get_iplayer' with the subject
>
>   Re: Total failure for tv this morning - 9.30am BST

> The reason it is being held:
>
>  Message has a suspicious header
>
> Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
> notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel
> this posting, please visit the following URL:

I have advised "d4x" to try third party mail clients
on XP to see if that fixes his issue, have yet to hear
back.

I recall some list members are still on XP - can any of
you replicate reported issue?

Since the deprecation of SHA-1 Hashing Algorithm by
Microsoft on Jan 1st 2016, I now find many SSL (https)
URLs simply won't load in XP's IE8, the same goes for
other functions using OS modules to access the net - I
believe this is the reason behind d4x's "zeranoe" issue...

To all list members: Please refrain from the obvious
suggestion d4x should either upgrade to a MS supported
Windows version or change to an Open Source OS;
this is not the intent of my post!

To the list maintainer (David Woodhouse):
Have you purposely blocked traffic originating from
MSOE 6.00 / WinXP as being an insecure client/OS?

Many thanks for any additional detail/insight on this...

Kind regards,
Vangelis.