GiP v2.93 / 2.94- snafus

M Clark mclark at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 13:40:56 PDT 2015

> > I have a contact who uses GiP for Radio only.
> > He doesn't want t.v.
> > How can he stop GiP downloading the t.v. list on start up?
>
> If, like you, is predominantly using the WPM, then after
> the GUI launches up with the "TV Box" ticked by default,
> he should untick it and tick the "Radio box" instead -
> then he should press "Apply Settings", followed by
> "Save As Default" to store his pref;
> next time he launches WPM, only "BBC Radio" will be
> ticked and he can proceed to refresh just the radio cache
> by pressing  the "Refresh Cache" button...
> This pref is saved inside a browser cookie, so he should take
> care not to delete cookies set by "127.0.0.1".
>  If he's on the CLI, a very big expiry value
> would, in practice, disable the tv.cache autorefresh...
>
> Any other suggestions welcome...

Thanks to Vangelis for his tips.

However if the Web PVR Manager is being used then there is no need to use the CLI first (in Windows).

In my experience the Web PVR Manager does not auto fresh either cache on start-up, and regardless of the value set in "Auto-Refresh Cache Interval" on the Recording tab will not auto-refresh UNLESS the Refreshing window is left open.  I have left the Web PVR Manager window open with Auto-Refresh Cache Interval set to 1 (hour) for the past 2 hours and nothing has happened, which is what I would expect.

But the CLI does auto refresh on start-up (now tv, used to be radio) and, at the risk of upsetting people, I believe this is a "design flaw" (or, probably more accurately, a techie being too helpful).  An analogy would be getting in a car and it immediately taking you to the petrol station for a refill.  But I only wanted something from the glove-box!  There is also an unfortunate side effect if not connected to the internet, the cache gets emptied and when re-populated everything has a Time Added value of 0d 0h (which is correct) but a pain if I only want to process additions since the last (proper) refresh.

Sorry for that last little moan, I get around it now by backing up the .get_iplayer folder after every run so I can restore a good state.

It sounds to me that GiP has been updated from an old version and that the CLI (Get_iPlayer icon) is being used first, then the Web PVR.  That would produce the symptoms described.
If that is the case, then borrowing from Vangelis;
use Web PVR Manager pointing to "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c pvr_manager.cmd" (or something similar)
untick "TV Box" and tick the "Radio box" instead - then he should press "Apply Settings", followed by "Save As Default"

I only use the CLI for items not in the cache or to download a series ( --pid-recursive ).

> cookies set by "127.0.0.1"

my address bar has http://localhost:1935/
I just wish I could remember to back-up Firefox cookies for when I accidently delete them.

Anyway, let us know if the problem gets sorted.

Regards,
M.