GiP v2.93 / 2.94- snafus

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu Jun 4 10:19:43 PDT 2015

On Thu Jun 4 11:55:02 BST 2015, CJB wrote:

> It seems that now on starting up GiP 2.93/94
> it refreshes the t.v.cache by default. That takes an age.

Do you mean the Web PVR Manager?
I am two timezones away from the UK,
but when I ran in the CLI a manual TV cache refresh:

perl get_iplayer-294.pl -f --force

that took exactly 52 secs in my Vista SP2 old laptop
(ADSL2+ over WiFi) - launched the Web PVR Manager
(in Firefox), the same manual TV cache refresh took slightly longer,
but a mere 1min12sec; would hardly call this an age;
are you on some rural area with slow dial-up?

Please consider  the option:
--refresh-limit-tv
The default is 7 (days of TV programmes to cache).
Lower this (min 1) to get a smaller tv.cache file,
that auto-refreshes more quickly...

By setting up a longer tv.cache expiry value,
you can delay the time interval between two
automatic refreshes of the tv.cache; e.g. (via CLI):

get_iplayer --prefs-add -e 604800

would auto-refresh the tv.cache every 7 days
(you can always refresh manually, at a time of your choice...
To remove the above pref, in the CLI:
get_iplayer --prefs-del -e 604800).

> Then the initial GiP PVM screen is displayed.
> The t.v. box is already ticked.

This is the default setting...

> I then tick the Radio box and click on Refresh Cache.
> Then the dots appear for t.v. but there is no listing
> Then the dots appear for Radio after which there is a listing.

 If the tv.cache has just been auto-refreshed some seconds ago,
nothing new will be found via a forced refresh, hence the
> Then the dots appear for t.v. but there is no listing
Untick the "TV box" prior to ticking the "Radio box",
so that only the radio.cache is refreshed when you press
"Refresh Cache"...

> I have a contact who uses GiP for Radio only.
> He doesn't want t.v.
> How can he stop GiP downloading the t.v. list on start up?

If, like you, is predominantly using the WPM, then after
the GUI launches up with the "TV Box" ticked by default,
he should untick it and tick the "Radio box" instead -
then he should press "Apply Settings", followed by
"Save As Default" to store his pref;
next time he launches WPM, only "BBC Radio" will be
ticked and he can proceed to refresh just the radio cache
by pressing  the "Refresh Cache" button...
This pref is saved inside a browser cookie, so he should take
care not to delete cookies set by "127.0.0.1".
 If he's on the CLI, a very big expiry value
would, in practice, disable the tv.cache autorefresh...

Any other suggestions welcome...
Regards,
Vangelis.