GiP v2.93 / 2.94- snafus

SquarePenguin getiplayer at squarepenguin.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 14:27:09 PDT 2015

On 04/06/2015 21:40, M Clark wrote:
> But the CLI does auto refresh on start-up (now tv, used to be radio)
> and, at the risk of upsetting people, I believe this is a "design
> flaw" (or, probably more accurately, a techie being too helpful).

get_iplayer's cache expires by default after 4 hours. If the cache has
expired, get_iplayer will refresh it when next run. So if it's been more
than 4 hours since the last refresh when you run get_iplayer, it will
refresh the cache.

It has done this for as long as I've been using it (3 years).

You can change the expiry time using the following command (taken from
the Options Wiki)

--expiry, -e <secs> : Cache expiry in seconds (default 4hrs)

Perhaps you could set it to expire after 1 week and manually update the
cache as and when you choose?

There's also the command:

--refresh-abortonerror : Abort cache refresh for programme type if data
for any channel fails to download. Use --refresh-exclude to temporarily
skip failing channels.

Perhaps if used it would have the side effect of aborting a cache
refresh if you weren't connected to the internet? Haven't tried that so
only guessing.