Paywall for iPlayer?

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Tue Jul 7 05:03:00 PDT 2015

In article <011501d0b8a8$7e46f3a0$7ad4dae0$@gmail.com>, Graham Temple
\(gmail\) <graham.j.temple at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes but what about people who never ever watch TV at all.  There are
> some, believe it or not - my parents for instance.  They have computers
> and internet, but why should they pay a charge for something they will
> never use, just because they have some equipment (whose primary purpose
> is not for accessing TV!) which theoretically could access on demand
> content.

The flaw in that argument is that we *all* benefit when the BBC produce
informative programmes. Even if someone didn't see/hear it, others will be
able to correct their ignorance when they express it. :-)

> How will you differentiate between those who don't and those
> who say they don't?  It is like saying you own a car and live in London
> so will probably use the Dartford crossing and enter the congestion
> zone, so we are going to add £50 a year to your road fund licence and do
> away with the congestion charges and tolls.

Erm.. You may have missed the fact that kind of thing happens anyway. :-)

I have no car, but I don't doubt that a lot of the my income has gone to
pay for the roads, etc. That seems fair to me when I eat food that was
taken to/from the shops in lorries, etc.

I have no children (that I'm aware of 8-]) but I'm happy that money taken
from me has been used to educate those around me - at least it did in some
cases. ;-> As yet I've also never had to stay in Hospital, but I may need
one sometime.

You may also be glossing over the fact that BBC radio is paid for out of
the fee, even if it was decided not to require one.

Jim