Google Chromecast compatible MP4s

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:39:02 PDT 2014

On 25/09/2014 10:03, Paul Oldham wrote:
> I recently got a Chromecast and I'm using rygel[1] as a UPnP AV
> MediaServer controlled by BubbleUPNP[2] to server videos stored on my
> file server to my Chromecast. So far so good: it works a treat with
> content like VOBs off DVDs converted to MP4 with the aid of ffmpeg.
>
> However is doesn't play MP4s straight out of get_iplayer (just using
> --get, no other flags). I've discovered I can fix this by using ffmpeg
> to re-encode but I was wondering if anyone had been this way before and
> was aware of a switch I could give to get_iplayer to make it produce
> MP4s which were Chromecast compatible straight of the box.
>
> TIA

You don't say what distro you're using, whether you're using using
original ffmpeg or the version provided until recently with libav, or
the version of ffmpeg/avconv you have.  Your problem might be solved
simply by using an recent version of the original ffmpeg. Libav hasn't
kept up with all ffmpeg changes to muxers.

I know zip about Rygel or Chromecast, but if you are already using a
recent version of ffmpeg, there are a couple of other things you might try:

1. Add --ffmpeg-tv-opts="-movflags rtphint" to your get_iplayer command.
  Hinting might help with streaming to your device, but that's only a guess.

2. Re-mux the mp4 files with mp4box instead of re-encoding.  You'll lose
the metadata, but assembling the streams in a fresh container might be a
quicker way to get a working file.  Again, only a guess.