Google Chromecast compatible MP4s

Paul Oldham paul at the-hug.org
Mon Sep 29 05:57:48 PDT 2014

On 25/09/14 18:39, dinkypumpkin wrote:

> On 25/09/2014 10:03, Paul Oldham wrote:
>> I recently got a Chromecast and I'm using rygel[1] as a UPnP AV
>> MediaServer controlled by BubbleUPNP[2] to server videos stored on my
>> file server to my Chromecast. So far so good: it works a treat with
>> content like VOBs off DVDs converted to MP4 with the aid of ffmpeg.
>>
>> However is doesn't play MP4s straight out of get_iplayer (just using
>> --get, no other flags). I've discovered I can fix this by using ffmpeg
>> to re-encode but I was wondering if anyone had been this way before and
>> was aware of a switch I could give to get_iplayer to make it produce
>> MP4s which were Chromecast compatible straight of the box.
>
> You don't say what distro you're using, whether you're using using
> original ffmpeg or the version provided until recently with libav, or
> the version of ffmpeg/avconv you have.  Your problem might be solved
> simply by using an recent version of the original ffmpeg. Libav hasn't
> kept up with all ffmpeg changes to muxers.

Ah yes, the joys of ffpeg versions ...

I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS and hence I'm on ffmpeg
0.10.9-7:0.10.9-1~precise1 (which I see is quite an old build now, and
indeed when I was on 10.04 I ended up rolling my own).

> I know zip about Rygel or Chromecast, but if you are already using a
> recent version of ffmpeg, there are a couple of other things you might try:
>
> 1. Add --ffmpeg-tv-opts="-movflags rtphint" to your get_iplayer command.
>    Hinting might help with streaming to your device, but that's only a guess.
>
> 2. Re-mux the mp4 files with mp4box instead of re-encoding.  You'll lose
> the metadata, but assembling the streams in a fresh container might be a
> quicker way to get a working file.  Again, only a guess.

OK. I'll give those two a go and see how I get on. Thanks for the ideas
anyway.
--
Paul