[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no fix available

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:17:35 PDT 2014

On 29/10/2014 20:08, Conrad Wood wrote:
> Wouldn't it be sufficient for each user to request access?

Time could prove me wrong, but I can't conceive that would ever happen.
  I don't imagine the BBC want to get into retailing a developer API.

> Alternatively, maybe some kind of proxy for the metadata can be used.
> get_iplayer could query the proxy, which in turn queries the bbc nitro
> api and caches the result. This way, the rate-limiting wouldn't hurt to
> much.

That's one model. It depends on caching policies, geographic
restrictions and other terms as yet unknown.  Even if all that were
worked out, it means get_iplayer would require a central resource that
somebody would have to pay for and maintain.  Personally, I don't want
go down that road except as a last resort.  We're not there yet.