[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no fix available

Conrad Wood cnw at conradwood.net
Wed Oct 29 13:08:17 PDT 2014

> I don't see Nitro as a solution for get_iplayer, at least not directly.
>   You can be sure that get_iplayer wouldn't get direct access, and even
> if that were possible, rate limiting and other restrictions might be too
> tight.  There are still details missing, and as Jeremy noted, outsiders
> can't see Nitro yet.

Wouldn't it be sufficient for each user to request access?
So get_iplayer could use a user-specified api-key to access nitro.
It's not ideal, but depending on the bbc policy it might be workable.
tbh I did not find much information about the policy under which the api
is made available on the website yet.

Alternatively, maybe some kind of proxy for the metadata can be used.
get_iplayer could query the proxy, which in turn queries the bbc nitro
api and caches the result. This way, the rate-limiting wouldn't hurt to
much.

Conrad