More (or less) Tommies

roadcone roadcone at gmx.com
Wed Oct 15 14:06:31 PDT 2014

On 15/10/14 19:53, dinkypumpkin wrote:

> You can't use the setup executable for this.  Refer back to:
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2014-October/006097.html
>
> And on Linux, there is no need to replace the packaged install.  Just
> download the upgraded CLI script and run it from your working directory.
>
> Both episodes of Tommies are available vir --pid.  It took a couple of
> days for last week's episode to appear in the cache, so I guess the same
> will apply to yesterday's.

Thank you for your patient help dinky.

I have been moving between Linux and Windows and getting myself in a
mess. I have installed the latest Windows version using the setup exe
and then overwritten the perl script with the one from github. I have
now d/l the two Tommies files.

I have not yet replaced the perl script on my Linux machine due to my
unfamiliarity with folder ownership and not knowing the consequences of
taking over ownership from root. And if I do, do I leave it as mine or
will that cause other apps problems later? Do I return ownership to root
once I have replaced the perl script file?

LInux: I've tried putting the latest perl script file in the downloads
folder the dropping to Terminal in that folder and running get_iplayer.
This seems to run the installed version 2.82 and not the recently
downloaded v2.86 from github. I had rather assumed it would run the copy
from the same folder and not go looking for the original. I have changed
permissions of the downloaded one to executable.

Thanks again.

Clive

Clive