More (or less) Tommies

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:19:24 PDT 2014

On 15 October 2014 22:06, roadcone <roadcone at gmx.com> wrote:
> On 15/10/14 19:53, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>>

>> You can't use the setup executable for this.  Refer back to:
>>
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2014-October/006097.html
>>
>> And on Linux, there is no need to replace the packaged install.  Just
>> download the upgraded CLI script and run it from your working directory.
>>
>> Both episodes of Tommies are available vir --pid.  It took a couple of
>> days for last week's episode to appear in the cache, so I guess the same
>> will apply to yesterday's.
>>
> Thank you for your patient help dinky.
>
> I have been moving between Linux and Windows and getting myself in a mess. I
> have installed the latest Windows version using the setup exe and then
> overwritten the perl script with the one from github. I have now d/l the two
> Tommies files.
>
> I have not yet replaced the perl script on my Linux machine due to my
> unfamiliarity with folder ownership and not knowing the consequences of
> taking over ownership from root. And if I do, do I leave it as mine or will
> that cause other apps problems later? Do I return ownership to root once I
> have replaced the perl script file?
>
> LInux: I've tried putting the latest perl script file in the downloads
> folder the dropping to Terminal in that folder and running get_iplayer. This
> seems to run the installed version 2.82 and not the recently downloaded
> v2.86 from github. I had rather assumed it would run the copy from the same
> folder and not go looking for the original. I have changed permissions of
> the downloaded one to executable.

Either
cd Downloads
./get_iplayer
note the ./ which tells it to use the one in this folder not look in
the path.  Or from anywhere
~/Downloads/get_iplayer
The above assume that the Downloads in your home folder is where you
downloaded to.  "~" tells it to start from your home folder.

If you want to replace the one in /usr/bin (if that is where it is)
then you can just do

sudo cp ~/Downloads/get_iplayer   /usr/bin

which will ask for your password and then do it.  The sudo command
temporarily gives you root privileges.
To find where the one that runs when you run get_iplayer is do
which get_iplayer
and it will tell you.

Colin