OT RE: Slow radio downloads - a bit off topic

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Wed Nov 19 01:04:54 PST 2014

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:36:52 -0000, George Eycott wrote:
	>> Who is your ISP?
>
> BT :-) They have admitted the exchange is in congestion.....

>From what I've heard/seen BT Openreach(*) are normally pretty good at
bringing on extra capacity when it's required, couple of weeks normally. It
can be rather longer if they haven't any dark fibre available. However BT
Openreach might not notice the lack of capacity until an ISP complains. IMHO
BT Internet is so big and most people just accept that "the internet" slows
down in the evening that very few people actually complain so it doesn't
register with them. With a more "proactive" ISP it's a different story, the
likes of A&A, Zen etc.

> And the good news is that a new housing estate is being built in the
> village so that is going to help.... Not.

It may kick BT Openreach into upping the backhaul, but I wouldn't like to
say that would improve your service. It really depends on what BT have
available/install and what the developer installs (ducts, cable/fibre etc)
and how big the estate is. Bear in mind that the fibre of a FTTC connection
may not terminate at the exchange where the POTS line and thus ADSL does.

(*) In broad terms, I think the backhaul/network provision is handled by a
different section of Openreach to the holes and poles mob, as is 21CN (the
move from an ATM based network to IP based).

--
Cheers
Dave.