iplayer audio to lpcm

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Nov 9 03:59:06 PST 2014

> Yes, David runs the list. However, he should respect the preferences of
> list members who as you say "almost no-one else on the list agrees with
> him
> in principle".

No. I have already explained why things are thw way they are, and the
problems we cause by doing things differently.

I am uninterested in mollycoddling those who lack the wit or the attention
span to just choose the correct mode of reply in their mailer. The
arguments for this are basically just "Derrr, Ug press wrong button again.
Help Ug. Make both button do same thing! Ug not want think."

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for the fact that this is a learned
habitual behavior, and there are some lists which perpetuate this
confusion.  But I am not about to start *contributing* to the problem.

> Hence my suggestion of a poll to see what members would like.

The problem with that is that the affected members might not be able to
vote effectively.  If, after patient explanations, they are still unable
to consistently press the correct 'reply' button, why do we believe they
would manage the complicated task of hitting their appropriate choice of
'yes' vs. 'no' buttons?

> If David does not agree with the majority view and can not accept their
> preference he could (should?) give ownership of the list to Dinky or
> anyone
> else who would like to run the list to reflect members' preferences.

You are welcome to set up a new list elsewhere if you really don't think
you can manage to remember to hit the right button. It won't be
@lists.infradead.org

--
dwmw2 (postmaster at infradead.org)