iplayer audio to lpcm

Square Penguin getiplayer at squarepenguin.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 15:54:06 PST 2014

On 08/11/2014 21:24, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Your email client — every email client — has (at least) two options for
> *how* to reply to an email.
>
> First there's the private reply which goes only to the sender of the
> original email.
>
> And then there's the public "reply to all" which goes to everyone who
> received the original email.

If you're using Thunderbird on Mac as I am now this is not the case by
default. Thunderbird offers 'reply' and 'smart reply' which attempts to
intelligently select the behaviour you desire.

It's default smart reply is reply to list, and there is seemingly no
option to change that.

In order to reply to all you must select that from a drop down menu.
It's not possible to even manually add a 'reply all' button without
first installing the CompactHeaders add on.

I would ordinarily say this was an edge case but with Thunderbird being
so popular it's worth knowing about.

> Now, if you *do* want to reply in public, there's a separate question
> about whether you should reply *only* to the list, or whether you should
> reply to all and keep everyone in the loop. Again it's useful to look at
> the failure modes. If you reply to everyone, then those who have
> actively participated in the thread will be copied directly. Many may
> want this, but a *few* people will be trivially inconvenienced by having
> two copies of the same email. An inconvenience which does them no real
> harm.
>
> Now think about what happens if you *don't* do people the courtesy of
> copying them directly. Some people will be cut out of the conversation
> *entirely*, and others will just be receiving it in a delayed form so
> that by the time they're able to reply, the conversation has moved on.
> See http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html for a detailed treatment
> of this, including a bunch of specific cases where the *lack* of a
> direct copy causes problems for individuals or even the entire set of
> subscribers to other mailing lists on which the thread may have been
> cross-posted.
>
> Seriously, there isn't much of a debate to be had here. Use the right
> button in the mailer. And if you *insist* on replying to the list
> instead of to everyone, your mailer *probably* has an option for that
> too. But be prepared that a number of more technical people will just
> *ignore* you if you do that.

FWIW I happen to agree with you that, if you take the underlying
'problems' you've laid out in your etiquette pages as valid, the scheme
you have is the one that solves the most 'problems' whilst maximising
'safe' visibility/delivery of message and minimising unsafe/embarrassing
accidental public replying where it's not wanted.

I suppose some people don't consider those underlying 'problems' valid
and so disagree with the setup here, but taking them as valid then
there's no faulting the logic of the way things are setup here.

- Just a side note on that, I don't have an opinion in the underlying
validity of those 'problems'. Seems like a case of personal discipline
to me, 'them's the rules'...so abide by them, it's not exactly onerous
to do so. I screw up the odd reply but no harm is done and I guess
that's a benefit of the way you have things setup.

> Seriously, when I start to help someone because I happen to come across
> their email in one of the dozens of mailing lists to which I'm
> subscribed, and they *fail* to reply to me directly, I'm very unlikely
> to see their response.

Quick question - how do you deal with CC's in your inbox and duplicate
messages in mailing list folders (assuming you filter to folders)?
Simply ignore the duplicates or do you have a filtering/deletion scheme
in place?

SP