Hello World...

Nic Siddle nicsiddle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 12:06:57 PST 2014

The rules as set out (however absurd) are quite clear - you need a TV
license to watch programmes as they are being shown on TV but not if
they are time shifted (e.g. in i-Player or with a tape recorder). That
license also allows you to record said programmes by any means. You do
not need a license for a TV or any other device if you never watch stuff
a/s it is being shown/ on TV.

There is nothing in the rules (which clearly pre-date catch up services)
about recording when something is not being shown on TV. But, what is
not addressed at all is recording whilst programmes are not being shown.
Such recording is therefore not in breach of TV licensing conditions per
se. But such a lack of the breach does not necessarily cover copyright
issues. In reality, it is unlikely that the BBC is going to come down on
anyone simply using i-Player to time shift for their own personal use.
But they would be well within their rights (and duty?) to pursue anyone
using it for commercial purposes or even distribution amongst friends.

Use of i-Player is conditional on acceptance of their T&Cs. These state
'1.1 "BBC iPlayer" is a BBC Online Service made available by the BBC to
enable you to access, view and/or listen to BBC Content or, if your
device permits, download BBC Content either using the BBC iPlayer
Download Application or directly from bbc.co.uk/iplayer
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/>.'. In other words, use of i-Player
demands agreement to use their software and to their terms - which
include the automatic expiry of content. Technically therefore, use of
get i-Player is in breach of their terms.

Having panicked at the recent loss of get i-player and having been so
relieved at its restoration (thanks DP and others), I for one would be
reluctant to make too much of a public fuss. Essentially, get i-Player
needs to stay sufficiently below the radar to be tolerated rather than
starting a big public hoo-hah which might lead to a change in TV licence
conditions.

Nic