Problem running get_iplayer web under Windows 8.1

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 16:31:37 EST 2013

On 04/11/2013 07:56, Shevek wrote:
> This is due to a new security lockdown in IE11.

Give me strength...

I've posted a new installer:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_4.8.exe

Folks with Windows 8.1: please test and reply here to let me know if it
works or not before I make it live as the default download.  I don't
have Win 8.1 here.

Testing:

- Click "No" when prompted that new version 4.7 exists

- Only select the "get_iplayer" component for re-installation.  There is
no reason to reinstall the helper apps.

- Observe whether or not you see the "Intranet settings disabled by
default" warning when Web PVR opens. If Intranet settings are disabled,
leave them off and try to open http://localhost:1935/ directly from
Metro IE launched from the start screen.  With Win 8/IE 10, Intranet
settings must be enabled for it to work, but I'd like to know if that
still applies to Win 8.1/IE 11.

Although this replaces the entire get_iplayer component, in effect it
only replaces the shortcut file used to launch the Web PVR:

C:\Program Files\get_iplayer\pvr_manager.url

You can alter the URL in that file directly (right-click->Properties in
Explorer) without re-installing.  However, I need some people to check
the installer as well.