get-iplayer on Ubuntu Raring

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Wed May 1 10:40:15 EDT 2013

On 1 May 2013 14:34, Andy Stevens <insomniacpenguin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  That command was informative:
> $ apt-cache policy get-iplayer
> get-iplayer:
>   Installed: 2.82-2
>   Candidate: 2.82-25-g3547d05-ppa8~raring

> So looks like it installed the default version even though I'd added
> the new source first.  Or perhaps I just needed to reboot in between,

no reboot required, but you do need to update the list of available
software after adding the repository.  Ubuntu does this automatically
sometimes, depending on how you installed it.  You can do the update
manually with:

$ sudo apt-get update

and there's bound to be some way of doing it using the ubuntu software
manager thingy.
(sorry, I'm not an avid user of the software manager - I can't even
remember its name properly ;-) - so I can't tell you which which
buttons to hit in it to do the update.  But it'll be there somewhere,
probably called refresh or update something similar.)

> ...as when I ran the software updater after next restart it showed new
> versions of get-iplayer, rtmpdump, atomicparsley, ...
this is expected - newer versions of these three are in the ppa.

> ... libimage-exiftool-perl & libmp3-tag-perl were available.
these are updates kicking around in raring.  they're not from the ppa,
but that should all be ok anyway.

> Interestingly, the update tool installed the new versions quite
> happily without doing anything about the key you mentioned...
this is because adding a ppa: URL in the GUI is exactly equivalent to
doing add-apt-repository (and it gets and installs the key
automatically, as you might reasonable expect ;-)

Cheers
jon