AtomicParsley hanging

Andy Stevens insomniacpenguin at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 15 11:18:12 EDT 2013

On 12/06/13 16:21, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 12/06/2013 12:55, Jon Davies wrote:
>>> Does get_iplayer have any
>>> alternative to AtomicParsley for the metadata updates that I could use
>>> instead?  Or is the --no-tag switch my only option?
>> Not currently.
>>
>> Sorry this isn't a particularly helpful answer.  If you can mount the
>> NAS using, say, NFS, then I suspect your problem will go away.
>
> Another suggestion, the fruit of mildly bitter experience: Use a
> directory on your internal drive as your get_iplayer output location
> and then use --command to automatically dispatch the finished file to
> your NAS and clean it up if the copy is successful. If you do have
> intermittent problems with samba, at least you'll have clean versions
> of your programmes.
>
> If you use an external drive as your get_iplayer output location,
> ffmpeg will read the entire FLV file over the network then write the
> entire re-muxed file back over the network.  Then AtomicParsley will
> read the entire re-muxed file back over the network, manipulate it a
> bit, write the entire tagged file back over the network to a temporary
> location, then swap it for the final file in the NAS location.  For an
> hour of HD TV, that means you're moving a total of 4-5 GB back and
> forth, which can be pretty slow depending on your set-up, not to
> mention the added scope for samba problems to crop up.

Unfortunately, I don't really have room on the local disk; it's an Acer
Aspire One netbook with only an 8Gb SSD drive and I have to regularly
clean up the downloaded update debs just to avoid being pestered by "low
storage" warnings :-(
I'll look into the NFS option, but I'm not sure if the drive (a Buffalo
LinkStation) supports it without replacing the firmware.

Andy.