AtomicParsley hanging

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 11:21:03 EDT 2013

On 12/06/2013 12:55, Jon Davies wrote:
>> Does get_iplayer have any
>> alternative to AtomicParsley for the metadata updates that I could use
>> instead?  Or is the --no-tag switch my only option?
> Not currently.
>
> Sorry this isn't a particularly helpful answer.  If you can mount the
> NAS using, say, NFS, then I suspect your problem will go away.

Another suggestion, the fruit of mildly bitter experience: Use a
directory on your internal drive as your get_iplayer output location and
then use --command to automatically dispatch the finished file to your
NAS and clean it up if the copy is successful. If you do have
intermittent problems with samba, at least you'll have clean versions of
your programmes.

If you use an external drive as your get_iplayer output location, ffmpeg
will read the entire FLV file over the network then write the entire
re-muxed file back over the network.  Then AtomicParsley will read the
entire re-muxed file back over the network, manipulate it a bit, write
the entire tagged file back over the network to a temporary location,
then swap it for the final file in the NAS location.  For an hour of HD
TV, that means you're moving a total of 4-5 GB back and forth, which can
be pretty slow depending on your set-up, not to mention the added scope
for samba problems to crop up.