AtomicParsley hanging

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Wed Jun 12 07:55:37 EDT 2013

On 12 June 2013 12:15, Andy Stevens <insomniacpenguin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm using get_iplayer v2.82-25-g3547d05-ppa8 on Ubuntu 13.04, and
> downloading to a network drive via SMB.
> ... some (not all) of the time AtomicParsley is hanging after the
> INFO: MP4 tagging MP4 file
> line.  I can quit back to the prompt with Ctrl-C, but the AtomicParsley
> process is left running and even "kill -9" won't get rid of it.  This then
> appears to hang on to some file lock on the network, which is preventing my
> laptop from hibernating...

I don't think that AtomicParsley is the problem - there are reports of
obscure interactions between samba and linux kernels resulting in
systems and processes locking up.  The end result is that ubuntu
freezes (or individual processes freeze) for no apparent reason when
connecting to samba shares.  this seems to arise with some
combinations of samba server, kernel (at both ends) and samba client.

Is there any other method you can use for mounting your NAS?  Can you
upgrade the samba server on the NAS?

> Is there a newer
> version of AtomicParsley than the one in the PPA that might not have this
> problem? (and if not, where should I report it?)
There are newer versions of AP, but none of the changes address this
problem - nor can they since it's not an AP problem.  the version in
the PPA comes from here: https://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley  but
the changes don't really impact get_iplayer (nor this problem).  I'm
happy to build an update if you'd like to try.

Given that you're using Ubuntu, try reporting the problem at
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu

> Does get_iplayer have any
> alternative to AtomicParsley for the metadata updates that I could use
> instead?  Or is the --no-tag switch my only option?
Not currently.

Sorry this isn't a particularly helpful answer.  If you can mount the
NAS using, say, NFS, then I suspect your problem will go away.

Cheers
Jon