AtomicParsley hanging

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 16:31:39 EDT 2013

On 15/06/2013 16:18, Andy Stevens wrote:
> On 12/06/13 16:21, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>> Another suggestion, the fruit of mildly bitter experience: Use a
>> directory on your internal drive as your get_iplayer output location
>> and then use --command to automatically dispatch the finished file to
>> your NAS and clean it up if the copy is successful. If you do have
>> intermittent problems with samba, at least you'll have clean versions
>> of your programmes.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really have room on the local disk; it's an Acer
> Aspire One netbook with only an 8Gb SSD drive and I have to regularly
> clean up the downloaded update debs just to avoid being pestered by "low
> storage" warnings :-(
> I'll look into the NFS option, but I'm not sure if the drive (a Buffalo
> LinkStation) supports it without replacing the firmware.

Another possibility: use a USB drive or SD card as your output location
and automate the transfer of downloads from there to your NAS drive.

Another consideration: It is also possible to remove AtomicParsley from
the equation if you're OK with a more limited set of metadata tags.  You
can download with --raw and then use ffmpeg to re-mux, add metadata and
copy to NAS in a single post-processing step.  For TV downloads, the
command might look something like:

get_iplayer --get XXX --raw --command \
'ffmpeg -i "<filename>" -acodec copy -vcodec copy \
-metadata show="<name>" \
-metadata title="<episode>" \
-metadata description="<descshort>" \
-metadata episode_id="<senum>" \
-metadata network="<channel>" \
-y "/path/to/nas/<fileprefix>.mp4"'

You would need to add some additional parameters to the command to apply
it to radio programmes as well. You would also probably want to set the
--command value in your preferences.  You can find a list of metadata
fields that should work with ffmpeg/avconv on Ubuntu here:

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Metadata

At the time I implemented the tagging code in get_iplayer a couple of
years ago, I considered simplifying it to use the facilities available
in ffmpeg.  Ultimately I decided to stick with AtomicParsley for MP4
tagging for two reasons: 1) there was no pure Perl alternative as there
was for MP3; 2) The then-new libav fork of ffmpeg didn't (and still
doesn't) support the full complement of MP4 atoms supported in the
original ffmpeg.   Since the libav fork is what you get with Debian and
its brethren (Ubuntu, etc.) there didn't seem much point in reducing
functionality for those users since they have access to AtomicParsley. I
also felt that get_iplayer should capture as much metadata as possible,
but then not everyone needs that much metadata.  It might be worth
implementing some fallback tagging with ffmpeg so that you can get at
least some metadata if you don't have AtomicParsley (or don't want it).
Not really a priority, though.