New Website

Square Penguin hello at squarepenguin.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 04:22:50 EDT 2013

I appreciate that you are able to recognise the emotional nature of your
reaction.

Logo: I may need to make this point again - I didn't make the logo. It's
from Phil Lewis' original site. It's still there now if you want to take
a look. As I said, if someone provides a new one I'd be willing to use
it, but is that going to be the concern of the BBC? It seems that the
underlying point is that many here believe their use of get_iplayer to
be illicit and it is much more logical and important to take steps to
address that fact first.

Popularity/Visibility: I am sorry to break the news to people here but
get_iplayer is popular and visible. This mailing list is visible and
easy to find, new users find it almost everyday and countless numbers
find and use the programme every day too. No doubt the BBC is very well
aware of get_iplayer hitting its servers and has a clear idea of how
large it is. The 'visibility' ship has sailed.

The implied sentiment (one you are not necessarily making but others
are) that new users should be discouraged so that the old timers can
continue to enjoy the spoils is, frankly, repellent. get_iplayer is a
free (in all senses) and open source tool created for everyone to use.
Respecting that, and the BBC's usage terms, is at the core of its use.

I accept that people react to change, most can't accept it. I will NOT
accept that new users should be discouraged and get_iplayer hidden away.
That is a fundamental point of principle that goes to the heart of open
source software and my position on that is immovable.