New Website

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 04:49:30 EDT 2013

On 17/07/13 09:22, Square Penguin wrote:
> I appreciate that you are able to recognise the emotional nature of
> your reaction.
>
> Logo: I may need to make this point again - I didn't make the logo.
> It's from Phil Lewis' original site. It's still there now if you want
> to take a look. As I said, if someone provides a new one I'd be
> willing to use it, but is that going to be the concern of the BBC? It
> seems that the underlying point is that many here believe their use of
> get_iplayer to be illicit and it is much more logical and important to
> take steps to address that fact first.
>
> Popularity/Visibility: I am sorry to break the news to people here but
> get_iplayer is popular and visible. This mailing list is visible and
> easy to find, new users find it almost everyday and countless numbers
> find and use the programme every day too. No doubt the BBC is very
> well aware of get_iplayer hitting its servers and has a clear idea of
> how large it is. The 'visibility' ship has sailed.
>
> The implied sentiment (one you are not necessarily making but others
> are) that new users should be discouraged so that the old timers can
> continue to enjoy the spoils is, frankly, repellent. get_iplayer is a
> free (in all senses) and open source tool created for everyone to use.
> Respecting that, and the BBC's usage terms, is at the core of its use.
>
> I accept that people react to change, most can't accept it. I will NOT
> accept that new users should be discouraged and get_iplayer hidden
> away. That is a fundamental point of principle that goes to the heart
> of open source software and my position on that is immovable.

And you are prepared to override the concerns expressed here because of
"your" interpretation of  the principles of what you call "open source
software" and to impugn the motives of those who have raised what I
think are very reasonable concerns about your actions ?

Was there discussion anywhere of what you were intending to do before
you did it ?  If not how does that equate with the "principles of open
source software" ?

In terms of what is not acceptable I DO NOT ACCEPT your right to put a
project at risk because or your perception of the needs of existing and
new users.