Default TV mode option

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 11:56:25 EST 2013

 From a recent thread here:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2013-January/003769.html

On 12/01/2013 11:16, Jon Davies wrote:
> since for reasons I never quite understood, probably lost in the mists
> of time, get_iplayer doesn't seem to download the best quality stream
> it can find by default...

If anyone has an argument one way or the other for changing this, please
chime in.  The argument I can think of for the current default is that
it prevents new users from eating bandwidth with hd/vhigh downloads they
may not want.  To quantify: the size difference between high and hd for
a one hour programme is nearly 900 MB, between high and vhigh is around
300 MB.  My completely uneducated guess is that fewer people these days
have bandwidth caps, but those numbers would make a real difference in
download time if you have a slow broadband connection.

My own inclination is towards grubby compromise: add vhigh to the
default TV modes but leave hd as optional.  That would sort of mimic the
iPlayer site, where HD is not the default when you click to the player
page from a programme listing.