[BUG] get_iplayer 2.82 PVR function is ignoring recording modes

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Sat Jan 12 06:16:50 EST 2013

On 10 January 2013 01:02, Phil Elvey <phil.elvey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have set the default recording modes as a list excluding
> flashhd (I don't want the recordings to download  as flashhd).
>
> However, when I run the PVR, it downloads the programme/s in flashhd!!
> Grrr!!

I managed to reproduce this.  get_iplayer is doing exactly what it's
been told to, but what I told it to do is overriding what you're
telling it to do.

To fix this, either wait 24 hours and update, or:
edit /etc/get_iplayer/options and comment out the tvmode and radiomode
options you'll find at the end.  Even better, replace both with a line
saying
modes best

since for reasons I never quite understood, probably lost in the mists
of time, get_iplayer doesn't seem to download the best quality stream
it can find by default...

what's happening is that the tvmode option overrides the modes option
- since you're specifying the mode, rather than the tvmode, tvmode in
the system options file wins and get_iplayer still downloads the hd
version.  with the change above, specifying either mode or tvmode will
make get_iplayer behave how *you* want it to, which would be the right
thing to do.

this only affects people using my ppa, and I'll be fixing it in a moment.

Regards
Jon