Downloading Subtitles-Only

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 08:46:25 EST 2013

On 11/01/2013 10:52, Kapitano wrote:
> I'm actually trying to use BBC subtitles as a text corpus for linguisic
> analysis, and was hoping to avoid downloading duplicates. But if the
> metadata doesn't indicate subtitle presence, there's no (easy) way for
> GiP to keep track of which srt files have already been downloaded. I'll
> just use duplicate file removal software.

Do you need the download date in the file name?  If you only use
invariant substitution parameters (<name>, <pid>, etc.) in your file
name format, get_iplayer won't create duplicates or overwrite previous
downloads, as long as you're writing to the same directory.  You can
always get the download date from the file attributes, so you could
concoct a simple script to archive your subtitle files and append the
download date to the filename in the process.