Reducing volume

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Fri Aug 16 09:18:51 EDT 2013

There's some audio processing on encodes which does make them louder for
the first couple of seconds before they drop back to reasonable levels. As
I understand it this is due to the encoding profile at Maidstone maintained
by the technical partner and is the subject of much wailing and gnashing of
teeth.

Though not relevant to iPlayer files, If you're decoding multichannel via
LAV and letting Windows downmix then it will come out quieter than if you
do the downmix with the filter.

You don't perhaps have ffdshow installed too and that is actually what's
decoding (and normalising) in mediaportal? Check filter priorities.