AtomicParsley (Windows) crashes when writing some descriptions

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:40:31 EDT 2011

On 20/09/2011 19:02, Kevin Reilly wrote:
> Hmm. Odder and odder. To the best of my knowledge I don't have that option

Odd is the word.  This was my experience:

No problems on OSX and Ubuntu.

I tested on 32-bit XP with latest episode of Spooks, using 3 versions of
AtomicParsley with get_iplayer:

old version 0.9.0 from Sourceforge
0.9.4 jonhedgerows build used by installer
newer 0.9.4-hg83.814077d09d34 jonhedgerows build

All 3 failed both with and without long description included (0.9.0
doesn't support long description) when used from get_iplayer

I then copied the AtomicParsley command line generated by get_iplayer
and wrapped it in a shell script, then ran a similar test from MinGW
shell.  All 3 AtomicParsley versions worked fine both with and without
long description included.

I next copied the AtomicParsley command line generated by get_iplayer
and wrapped it in a Perl script, then ran a similar test from XP command
prompt using Strawberry Perl 5.12.  All 3 versions of AtomicParsley
failed both with and without long description included, just as when
invoked from get_iplayer.  I found that I could get it to work with
oddball changes like removing a random character from the middle of the
lyrics text, or truncating the long description at 514 chars, etc.
That's when I knew I was down the rabbit hole and gave up.

All these results were repeatable, but they don't square with some of
the other reports on this thread, so take this with a boulder-sized
grain of salt.  My first thought was that there might be a buffer
overflow or memory allocation arithmetic error, but that wouldn't
explain why it works from a shell script and not from a Perl script.
Besides, I can download and tag other programmes from get_iplayer with
much longer description text.

Another possibility is that there is some sort of encoding problem,
which might explain why the shell script worked but the Perl script
didn't.  But again, I can't see what the problem is.  I tried
re-encoding the AtomicParsley command line parameters a few different
ways, but to no avail.  No surprise there.  I can't see anything in the
metadata for that Spooks episode that would cause encoding problems.  Punt.