AtomicParsley (Windows) crashes when writing some descriptions

Kevin Reilly getiplayer at denali.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 14:02:27 EDT 2011

On 20/09/2011 18:42, dinkypumpkin wrote:

> The long description is only written if you use --tag-longdescription or
> --tag-longdesc (depends on version of AtomicParsley, --tag-longdesc
> applies to version of AP used by latest installer), or set the
> equivalent options.  You didn't say in your original post if you're
> using one of those options.

Hmm. Odder and odder. To the best of my knowledge I don't have that option
set anywhere, either in the default 'all user' options or in any of the
scripts I use to run get_iplayer (I don't use the GUI).

So I just re-enabled all of the description options and downloaded Spooks
again and this time, no crash. Wasn't expecting that.

> If not, those commented-out lines are
> ignored anyway, so something else would be going on.  I get the same
> error without the long description, so I'm curious if we're seeing the
> same thing.

Assuming I don't have the long description option set anywhere -- and I'm
now fairly certain I don't -- it looks as though this morning's crashes
were caused by the short description command, since disabling that (along
with the others) first allowed the tagging to work.

Why this evening's attempt worked with that option enabled is a mystery.
The index number for the programme had changed, so perhaps something
changed at the BBC end, or at one of their hosting providers.

Either way I was wrong about the long description thing. If it's anything,
it's an occasional regular description that's causing AtomicParsley to
fall over. Are the Linux people seeing this too or is it just Windows?

--
Kev