Possible solution to the Windows AtomicParsley crashes?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Oct 9 03:39:24 EDT 2011

On Sat Oct 8 21:21:25 BST 2011, I wrote:

>>A short-term workaround until I get a patch together is to comment out
>>lines 4286-4288 in get_iplayer{.pl}, which should look like:
>>
>># 	while ( my ($key, $val) = each %{$meta} ) {
>># 		$meta->{$key} = decode("utf8", $val);
>># 	}
>>
>>The "Wide character" warning will still appear, but tagging should work.
>
>Thank you very much  :-) ; that works OK with the latest AP on my (test)
>file, pid=p00k9js2...

 This morning, I have come across another World Service file generating the
"Wide character" warning;
 it has pid=p00kdr09. With the workaround suggested, AP (latest binary) tags
the m4a file, but only
PARTIALLY: The "Comment" and "©lyr" fields (in MediaInfo) contain only the
first word of the
description, i.e. "Were" (???).
 The long description of the file ("desc" in get_iplayer terminology) can be
read here:
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kdr09
I can spot the offending "curly quote"  in the last paragraph, it's in the
very last "Australia's".
However, I am at a complete loss as to why the description isn't properly
"written", just its first word :-( .
(I fixed this by opening the m4a with Winamp, copied the description from
the link above and filled the
"Comment" bit of the tag using Winamp's innate MP4 tagger).